Thursday 2 January 2014

COACHING : Conducting Effective Training Sessions

Conducting Effective Training Sessions
Plan every session prior to arriving and have goals you wish to achieve for every session!
1. Pre Practice meeting
2. Warm – Up
3. Skill Instruction – IDEA
4. Skill Practice
5. Modified Game or Nets (alternate between the two)
6. Warm Down and Evaluation

1. Pre Practice meeting (5minutes)
In the pre practice meeting, the coach should give his player an outline of the up-coming training session and what goals there are for the session. The players should sit down in a semi-circle facing the coach. You can also review the previous game/performance and seek feedback from players on areas for improvement. Not only on how the team may improve but also feedback on your own coaching style.
2. Warm – Up (10minutes)
Warm up should be a light bit of activity before stretching. It could be kicking around a football, jogging slowly or light fielding drills. After a sweat is broken then a stretching session should be done. (See Section 12 Warm-Up and Stretching)
3. Skill Instruction
This part of the session is where the coach will have certain outcomes he wishes to achieve. Past competitions, training sessions, player feedback and long-term planning will allow the coach to judge, which skills and in which order to teach them. For effective skill instruction I like to think of a quote from Sun Tzu who as a Chinese warlord around 2500 years ago never lost a battle.
`Tell me, I hear. Show me, I see. Though involve me, I understand.’
I.D.E.A = (5-10minutes)
I – Introduce the skill
D – Demonstrate the skill
E – Explain the skill
A – Attend to players practicing skill

No comments:

Post a Comment